Tagged: child theme
March 26, 2018 at 8:57 pm #12680
I currently have a working child theme on my site. CSS changes work perfectly.
However, I’m confused as how to setup FEP Pro in the child theme.
I copied the full directory structure: /wp-content/plugins/front-end-pm-pro and all of the subfolders, etc. But plugin edits only show up on the site if they’re made in the parent theme’s /plugins folder structure – not the one in the child theme.
What am I doing wrong? Let me know if I need to provide any additional info.
SteveMTNOMarch 26, 2018 at 11:28 pm #12683
Are you trying to customize this plugin’s template in your child theme? Here is instruction https://www.shamimsplugins.com/docs/front-end-pm-pro/customization-front-end-pm-pro/change-templates/March 27, 2018 at 2:18 am #12686
That’s what I tried to do, but it didn’t work.
I’m using a parent/child theme (the parent is /spacious, the child is /spacious-child
The parent theme is setup as follows:
The child theme is setup as follows:
I’m guessing the problem with the child theme is a pathing issue.
In my parent theme, i’m using a site plugins folder & this works:
/wp-test/wp-content/plugins/bc-plugins (bc is the name of the site)
I tried copying the contents of viewmessage.php to fep-plugin.php, and then activating it as a separate plugin, but got a fatal error.
Seems like this should be an easy thing to do..
Thanks for your help,
SteveMTNOMarch 27, 2018 at 12:39 pm #12710
Please follow step by step
1. Remove all changes you have made for this plugin.
2. Inside your child theme create a folder called “front-end-pm”. So full path will be /wp-test/wp-content/themes/spacious-child/front-end-pm/
3. in this folder copy “viewmessage.php” and change this file as you need ( do not change file name)March 27, 2018 at 7:07 pm #12731
Thanks for the quick reply, shamim.
So, just a couple more quick questions:
– Should the complete plugin still be installed in /wp-test/wp-content/plugins/ (so that it can be used with any installed theme)?
– Should /wp-test/wp-content/themes/spacious-child/front-end-pm/ only contain “viewmessage.php” (and any other files to be changed in the child them only) without all of the other subfolders, etc?March 27, 2018 at 9:53 pm #12736
1. Plugin must be installed in plugin directory (normally /wp-content/plugins/)
2. wp-content/themes/spacious-child/front-end-pm/ can contain any files from front-end-pm-pro/templates directoryMarch 27, 2018 at 10:34 pm #12739
Thanks again for the quick response, shamim!
Unfortunately, I’m at work right now and can’t test this out. 🙁
So, if I understand this correctly:
– installing the plugin in /wp-content/plugins/ will allow me to use the plugin with any them that I have installed
– and copying/modifying files in the /wp-content/themes/spacious-child/front-end-pm/ folder will let me make changes exclusive to the “spacious-child” theme, without affecting the source files in the /wp-content/plugins/ folder.
Is this correct?
And one more quick question… Can I put other updated files into the /wp-content/themes/spacious-child/front-end-pm/ too, or is that limited to template files?
Thanks again for all your help!
SteveMTNOMarch 28, 2018 at 11:40 am #12762
Both of your understand is correct.
You can only change templates file in /wp-content/themes/spacious-child/front-end-pm/March 29, 2018 at 3:59 am #12798
Perfect – works great! Thank you so much for your help!
What other elements of this plugin can I modify in the child theme like this? Or is it just the files in the /templates folder? CSS files, maybe?March 29, 2018 at 8:08 am #12801
What about \includes\class-fep-form.php? Is there a way to add that to the child theme too?March 29, 2018 at 12:18 pm #12808
In child theme only /templates folder can be modified.
To modify CSS, just add modified CSS in your child theme’s style.css file. OR add your modified CSS in Front End PM PRO > Settings > General > Custom CSSMarch 29, 2018 at 12:54 pm #12811
Is there a recommended way for modifying the other plugin files, so that things won’t get overwritten during an update?March 29, 2018 at 7:06 pm #12818
You can use hook ( action and filter ) to change any other function.March 29, 2018 at 7:22 pm #12823
I don’t know what that means. Can you give me an example?
SteveMTNOMarch 29, 2018 at 9:57 pm #12826
All plugins are based on this hooks.
Let me know what you are trying to achieve, i will try to give you code for that.